» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 ... 1180» Next»     » Slide Show


River Springs

As told by LInda Reno: On May 6, 1669, Elizabeth Gerard, daughter of Thomas, married Nehemiah Blackistone. As a wedding gift, Thomas Gerard gave the couple "Longworth Point", 300 ac. and "Dare's Neck", 100 ac. (today's Coltons Point and adjacent lands). The part of the property now known as "River Springs" contains 88 acres and is owned by Gordon and Gerard Blackistone Hughes, direct descendants of Nehemiah Blackistone and Elizabeth Gerard. Located there is the main residence, two cottages and a working farm.

The original [current] house was built by George Blackistone in 1841 and contained large wings on either side. During the mid to late 1800s, his son, Dr. Richard Pinkney Blackistone, used the wings of rooms as lodging for patients.

Then in the early 1900s, Robert Deminieu Blackistone Sr. converted the structure to a resort hotel with a riverside gazebo for dancing in the evenings. During the 1930s his children, Jane (Blackistone) Hughes and Robert Deminieu Blackistone, Jr., removed the wings and gazebo, and added a kitchen, three bathrooms, and a portico front porch, creating today's "River Springs", a private residence. (Information from the Southern Maryland Garden Tour, May 2012).

File nameRiverSprings.jpg
File Size43.18k
Dimensions448 x 289
Linked toSource: S1336; George Blackistone; Nehemiah Blackistone; Dr. Richard Pinkney Blackistone; Elizabeth Gerard; Thomas Gerard

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 ... 1180» Next»     » Slide Show